The Mannheim Centre for European Social Research (MZES) of the University of Mannheim is seeking
A social scientist (f/m/d)
who specialises in „Surveys“
for the Data and Methods Unit at the MZES
The MZES is an interdisciplinary research institute of the University of Mannheim, dedicated to comparative European social research and the analysis of European integration processes. It is the largest university-based research institute for the social sciences in Germany.
The centre includes a Data and Methods Unit (DMU), which offers support to the researchers at the institute. One of its four positions focuses on „Surveys“.
- In collaboration with the colleagues from the Data and Methods Unit, you will develop and improve the DMU’s services in the field of surveys.
- You will advise the staff on ethics and data protection issues in the surveys conducted at the MZES.
- You will support scientific projects at the MZES throughout the entire project cycle, from the initial project design, proposal, and implementation all the way to completion and documentation.
- During half of the time, you will conduct your own research and publish articles in peer-reviewed journals, thus keeping up to date with the latest developments in the field, especially in terms of methodology.
What we are looking for:
- You hold a relevant PhD in social sciences and have published in this context in renowned international journals.
- You have practical experience with the design, collection, and processing of complex survey data (e.g., factorial survey data, panel and network data); ideally, you are familiar with survey design, questionnaire design, and different forms of data collection, also among groups that are difficult to reach.
- Other advantages: You have relevant project experience, ideally in international, externally funded projects.
- Experience with research data centres and data archives is a plus.
- You look forward to the opportunity to provide services to other academics while conducting your own research; you are motivated to work in a team to improve the services offered by the DMU.
If the personal requirements are met, the position will be filled at the next possible date in accordance with the German Act on Fixed-Term Employment Contracts in Academia (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz, WissZeitVG). The possibility of a later renewal of the fixed-term contract for an indefinite period is not excluded. You will be assigned to a remuneration bracket in accordance with the collective agreement for public service employees of the German Länder (TV-L) up to renumeration bracket 13.
The position is generally suitable for job sharing. The employment relationship is subject to the provisions of the collective agreement for public service employees of the German Länder (TV-L).
The MZES and the University of Mannheim aim to increase the number of women in academia and therefore explicitly encourage qualified women to apply. Applicants with disabilities are treated with preference given comparable qualification.
We look forward to receiving your application including a cover letter, CV, copies of academic degrees/certificates/diplomas (incl. doctoral certificate and/or doctoral thesis examiner report), a list of publications, and a 2-page concept for your work at the MZES (1 page for the services you offer, 1 page for your own research) preferably in digital form.
Deadline: 5 March 2022.
Please send your documents to: email@example.com
For more information on the MZES, visit www.mzes.uni-mannheim.de
If you have any questions, please contact the Managing Director, Dr. Philipp Heldmann: 0621/ 181-2865, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that data transmitted via unencrypted e-mail communication may be subject to unauthorised access by third parties and that confidentiality cannot be guaranteed. Information on data protection: Submitted application documents will be returned only if you enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Otherwise, the documents will be destroyed in accordance with data protection law after the application process has been completed. Electronic applications will be deleted accordingly. Information on the processing of personal data according to article 13 of the GDPR is provided on the Universities website, section “Employment Opportunities”: https://www.uni-mannheim.de/en/about/employment-opportunities/data-prote…